If you’re not a member of the Waxahachie Senior Activity Center, we invite you to stop by and see what all we offer. In addition to our ongoing classes and group activities such as exercise classes, support groups, lunch programs and social functions, the center also presents several special events each month.
Here’s information on what we have coming up in November.
• Program: Alternative Treatments for Arthritic Pain – 9 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 8
The center welcomes Richard Buch, MD, who’s associated with the Dallas Limb Restoration Center. Dr. Buch will present an educational seminar reviewing alternative treatments for arthritic pain to avoid surgery.
• Program: Honoring Those Who Served – 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday, Nov. 11
This special day provides our community an opportunity to honor our veterans who have served our country and to share moments that go above and beyond a simple “thank you.”
The center and Bristol Hospice Pathways will recognize and honor veterans with a pinning ceremony. All veterans young and “seasoned” are welcome.
Immediately following the ceremony, a complimentary lunch will be served to all veterans. Those who wish to attend the meal and the ceremony are asked to contact the center as soon as possible. Assisted living centers and nursing facilities are invited to bring their veterans to attend the event provided they have a caregiver or attendant with them. The center extends a very special thank you to Bristol Hospice Pathways, their management and staff for volunteering and joining us as a sponsor for this event.
• Program: Living with Alzheimer’s at the Holidays – 9-10 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 14
Are you caring for someone with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia? Are you concerned about the upcoming holidays and how your loved one will respond to the activities of the holiday season? During this session, we will discuss how to manage expectations and minimize behaviors during the holidays. We’ll identify activities the whole family can enjoy with your senior loved one and we’ll discover ways to make holiday traveling easier for your senior loved one. You’ll also learn about ways to manage caregiver stress during the holidays. This program will be presented by Home Instead Senior Care.
Please come join the members at the Waxahachie Senior Activity Center for all the following fun and great activities taking place this month, including the following classes:
• Canasta Club – Will meet at 12:15 p.m. Friday, Nov. 15. Recruiting new members; no experience necessary.
• Computer Lab Update: 10 a.m. Tuesdays (advanced) and Wednesdays (smart phones); basic beginner classes are offered at noon Thursdays.
• Crafty Crafters with Debbi: Meets at noon Mondays. Limited seating; signup in the lobby. Special classes include Nov. 18 – Tree of Thanks centerpiece.
• Crafts Class by Elaine: Meets at noon Mondays. Limited seating; signup in the lobby. Special classes include fall napkins on canvas Nov. 11 and felt poinsettias Nov. 25.
• Fall & Balance Group Fitness Class: Meets at 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Flexibility training in a small group setting that focuses on balance, lower body strength and core strength.
• Floral Design Class: Will meet at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 21, for teacup treasures with Barbara.
• Genealogy: Meets at noon Tuesdays with Bill and noon Fridays with Fred. The ancestry.com program is available in the lab.
• Paper Back Café: Will meet at noon Friday, Nov. 22. Please come join us for fellowship and snacks. This month’s book is “No Stone Unturned” by Pat Pratt, the center’s resident writing instructor.
• Sewing “Silver Designers” Class: Meets at noon Thursdays. Limited seating; signup in the lobby. We will be completing Christmas projects for the holidays, including Christmas boats and placemats.
• Scrabble Club: Meets at 1 p.m. Mondays and we are recruiting new members to join our club. No experience necessary. On-site training. Come join the fun!
All of the above and much, much more in the way of activities are offered on an ongoing basis at the Waxahachie Senior Activity Center. Come check us out!
“The Living Today for Tomorrow,” Next Generation Education STEM Garden. Visit our website and sign your group up for a fun filled tour at www.stemeducationgarden.org. Volunteers are needed; no experience is necessary.
The Waxahachie Senior Activity Center does not discriminate based on sex, race, religion, color or national origin. Tax-deductible donations and contributions are accepted. Donate to your favorite program or sponsor a senior with a membership.
The Waxahachie Senior Activity Center is located at 122 Park Hills Drive. Hours are from 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Thursday and from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday. Only the fitness center on the east side of the building is open on Saturdays, from 8 a.m.-noon.
For more information, call 469-309-4280.
Jeanee Smiles is the director of the Waxahachie Senior Activity Center. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.