As of Friday evening, the Texas Department of State Health Services’ COVID-19 dashboard showed Ellis County increasing its active case count from Thursday’s 519 to 594. That’s a 1,000% increase since July 1’s 54 active cases.
Concurrently, hospital admissions increased as well, with an additional seven people admitted in the 24-hour span. There are 70 people in the county’s hospitals with active cases of COVID-19, of which 10 are in ICU.
Two deaths have been added to the county’s total, with 327 reported total since the pandemic’s onset.
Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Waxahachie President Will Turner told the Sun on Thursday that what’s being seen in the Baylor system, including its campus in Ellis County, is in line with what the CDC is reporting elsewhere in the nation:
• from 98-99% of those hospitalized are unvaccinated against the novel coronavirus
• more than half of those hospitalized are younger than age 65 (Note: There are no pediatric patients at Baylor – Waxahachie; any pediatric patients would be at one of the children’s hospitals in the Metroplex).
• COVID-19’s Delta variant is the primary cause for the current case load.
County officials have declined comment to the Sun on the increase in cases.
Ellis County reported its first case of COVID-19 on March 17, 2020, peaking at about 1,340 active cases Jan. 15, 2021. The county then dropped to below 100 active cases as of April 18, maintaining numbers in the 60-80 range through about June 22, when the numbers dipped further, into the 50s.
Both the state and Ellis County are classified as “very high” risk on the independent, nonprofit Covid Act Now’s dashboard, where both the state and the county continue to show slight increases in the number of people fully vaccinated or who have had at least one dose. Neither the state nor county, however, are near the number medical experts recommend for so-called “herd immunity” to have an impact on the virus’ spread.
As of Aug. 6, Covid Act Now shows the following data:
• Texas – 39.9 cases per 100,000 people
• Texas – 1.35 infection rate
• Texas – 16.5% positive test rate
• Ellis County – 42.9 cases per 100,00 people
• Ellis County – 1.45 infection rate
• Ellis County – 19.9% positive test rate.
As of Aug. 6, the DSHS data dashboard showed the following cumulative data for Ellis County:
• Confirmed cases to date – 19,755
• Probable cases to date – 4,539
• Fatalities to date – 327
• Active cases – 594
• Recoveries to date – 23,621
Total tests to date – 224,063
Ellis County hospital data (as of Aug. 6 per the county’s report):
• Total bed count: 235
• Total beds occupied: 198
• Total ICU bed count – 19
• Total ICU occupied – 19
• COVID-19 patients in the ICU – 10
• COVID-19 patients in MedSurg – 60
The DSHS data dashboard can be found online at https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/AdditionalData.aspx.
The Covid Act Now data dashboard can be found online at https://covidactnow.org/.
The county’s hospitalization data is available on the county’s website at https://www.co.ellis.tx.us.