The SAGU community is grieving the loss of one of its students due to a tragic accident.
“It is with heavy hearts that we inform the community of the tragic loss of one of our students this past Sunday evening,” a university statement reads. “Jedidiah Brookbank and a friend were jumping building to building in downtown Waxahachie. Early details indicate that Jed fell onto a power line and was killed instantly.
“Jedidiah came to SAGU from Kansas City and was a resident in Bridges Hall. He had just completed his junior year and was a business management major,” the statement continues. “Many knew Jedidiah along with his sisters Ariel and Chelsea. In Chelsea’s words, ‘He brightened up any room he entered with his laugh, smile, amazing personality and ability to make anyone feel instantly welcomed and valued.’ Many fellow students and faculty have already expressed personal sentiments about how sweet of a young man Jed was.
“Our hearts break for family and friends who are hurting and we ask that you join us in praying for God’s peace to comfort them,” the statement said.
According to a police media release, the incident occurred at about 11:20 p.m. Sunday, May 5, with Waxahachie Fire Rescue and the Waxahachie Police Department responding to the 100 block of N. Rogers St. in reference to an adult male who had been electrocuted.
“Upon arrival, a victim was located atop a business at the location,” police said in the release, identifying the victim as the 20-year-old Brookbank. “Preliminary investigation suggests that the victim was jumping roof tops for fun and inadvertently came into contact with high voltage wires and was killed.”
The body was transported to the Dallas County medical examiner’s office pending an autopsy.
Anyone with information on this case can contact Lt. Marcus Brown at 469-309-4426.