If you’re not a member of the Waxahachie Senior Activity Center, please stop by and let us show you around so you can see what all we offer.
In addition to our ongoing classes and group activities that range from exercise classes to support groups, lunch programs and social functions, the center also presents several special events each month.
Here’s information on the special programs we have coming up in December and January, with information following then on our regular programs .
• Program: Smart Driver TEK Workshop at noon Dec. 13. Cars are becoming more technologically advanced every day and show no sign of slowing down. This means there is more safety technology in today’s cars than ever before. However, many drivers are not familiar with how to use the technology to keep them safe. Smart DriverTEK is here to help. In this brand-new, 90-minute, interactive workshop, developed jointly by AARP Driver Safety and The Hartford, drivers will learn how to utilize the latest high-tech safety features in their current or future car, to make driving safer and more enjoyable. The workshop is free but space is limited. Sign up in the lobby.
• Program: Back to Basics Beginner Painting Class at 2 p.m. Friday, Jan. 3. Burl’s Painting Class will focus on helping beginners start their journey as an artist. So, if you need a new hobby but always thought painting would be too difficult then come on out to WSAC. The cost is $25 per project and covers all your supplies. We’ll cover mixing colors, which brush to use and how to paint a landscape. It typically takes from four to five classes to complete a project – work at your own speed with one-on-one tutoring. We have a blast down in the art room every Friday, so come join us. You’ll be glad you did.
Please come join the members at the Waxahachie Senior Activity Center for any and all of the following fun and great activities taking place this month, including these classes:
• Canasta Club – Meets at 12:15 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6. Recruiting new members; no experience necessary.
• Computer Lab Update: 10 a.m. Tuesdays (advanced) and Wednesdays (smart phones); basic beginner classes are offered at noon Thursdays.
• Crafty Crafters with Debbi: Meets at noon Mondays. Limited seating; signup in the lobby. Special classes include Dec. 16 – creative cork crafts.
• Crafts Class by Elaine: Meets at noon Mondays. Limited seating; signup in the lobby. Special classes include Christmas wreath Dec. 2 and notebook binder for gifts Dec. 9 and 23.
• Fall & Balance Group Fitness Class: Meets at 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Flexibility training in a small group setting that focuses on balance, lower body strength and core strength.
• Floral Design Class: Will meet at noon Thursday, Dec. 12.
• Genealogy: Meets at noon Tuesdays with Bill and noon Fridays with Fred. The ancestry.com program is available in the lab.
• Paper Back Café: Will meet at noon Friday, Dec. 27. Please come join us for fellowship and snacks.
• Sewing “Silver Designers” Class: Meets at noon Thursdays. Limited seating; signup in the lobby.
• Scrabble Club: Meets at 1 p.m. Mondays. We are recruiting new members to join; no experience necessary. On-site training. Come join the fun.
All of the above and much, much more in the way of activities are offered on an ongoing basis at the Waxahachie Senior Activity Center. Check us out.
“The Living Today for Tomorrow,” Next Generation Education STEM Garden. Visit our website and sign your group up for a fun filled tour at www.stemeducationgarden.org. Volunteers are needed; no experience is necessary.
The Waxahachie Senior Activity Center does not discriminate based on sex, race, religion, color or national origin. Tax-deductible donations and contributions are accepted. Donate to your favorite program or sponsor a senior with a membership.
The Waxahachie Senior Activity Center is located at 122 Park Hills Drive. Hours are from 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Thursday and from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday. Only the fitness center on the east side of the building is open on Saturdays, from 8 a.m.-noon.
For more information, call 469-309-4280.
Jeanee Smiles is the director of the Waxahachie Senior Activity Center. Contact her at email@example.com.